Let’s bring these bad boys back to basics. All the recipes I found for Bang Bang Shrimp or Bang Bang Cauliflower called for panko, breadcrumbs, mayo, honey, eggs, sugar, milk . . . I mean, man, those recipes were still delicious. Breaded, crisply fried and just packed with a kick. I needed a better, lighter option. I obtained a recipe for Bang Bang Shrimp using only four ingredients for the sauce via Pinterest.
With some tweaking and using this as inspiration, I cut the original recipes’ fluff and kept all the flavor. (Double points if you add even more spice to your life and prep these Bang Bang Cauliflower, while listening to “Bang Bang.”) A great option for anyone allergic to seafood, has gluten-free or vegan needs or just willing to try something different. Plus, these super spicy morsels are baked, not fried, and still get crispy and perfectly browned in the oven. Sounds like an all around winning dish to me.
Bang Bang Cauliflower Ingredients
- 10 oz. cauliflower, washed and cut into bite-size pieces *
- 4 t sweet chili sauce
- 1 t sriracha
- 1 T neutral oil
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 1/2 t garlic powder
* NOTE: you can also use deveined, peeled and washed shrimp as a substitute for cauliflower. Just roast/bake the shrimp in the oven at 400°F for 6-8 min. I paired these cauliflower bites as a side for a shrimp stir-fry and then again as an app for a seafood stew (also with shrimp), so serving two shrimp dishes just didn’t make sense.
How to make Crisply Baked Spicy Bang Bang Cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, mix ingredients for sauce (sweet chili sauce through garlic powder).
- Add in cauliflower to the sauce. Toss the cauliflower until the sauce is evenly distributed. Transfer coated cauliflower to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 min. Remove and then stir the cauliflower. Continue cooking for an additional 5-7 min. to ensure both sides are equally browned and beginning to get crispy.
- Remove from heat and immediately enjoy!
- How many Calories in a Buffalo Chicken Salad? Meatballs
- Homemade Tzatziki: Your Gateway to Greek Gastronomy
Variations and Substitutions
Alright folks, let’s shake things up a bit! If you’re looking to cater to different dietary needs or simply want to experiment with new flavors, I’ve got some nifty ideas for you.
For my vegan buddies out there, you can easily swap out any non-vegan ingredients with plant-based alternatives. Try using aquafaba instead of eggs if you decide to add a crunchy coating to your cauliflower bites.
And hey, if you’re not a big fan of cauliflower, no worries! Broccoli florets can be a great substitute, giving you that same satisfying crunch with a slightly different twist.
Now, let’s talk about the sauce – the star of the show. If you’re aiming for a less spicy version, feel free to adjust the amount of sriracha to your liking. On the flip side, if you’re all about that heat, go ahead and amp it up! And for those of you on a gluten-free diet, ensure your sweet chili sauce is gluten-free, or opt for a homemade version to be extra sure.
Tips and Tricks
First and foremost, make sure your cauliflower florets are dry before you start. Any excess water can steam the cauliflower in the oven, and we definitely don’t want that.
Don’t overcrowd your baking sheet. Give those little guys some room to breathe and roast to perfection.
Make sure to flip the cauliflower halfway through the baking process to ensure an even, mouth-watering crispiness on all sides. And here’s a little secret: for an extra crunch, consider giving them a quick broil at the end of the baking time. Just keep a close eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
So there we have it, my culinary comrades – our journey through the tantalizing world of Crispy Bang Bang Cauliflower. I’ve tackled everything from choosing the right ingredients to baking them to crispy perfection. Remember, this recipe is all about flexibility and flavor. Whether you’re a spice lover or someone with specific dietary needs, there’s room for everyone at the Bang Bang Cauliflower table.
So why wait? Dive into your kitchen, crank up your favorite tunes, and let the Bang Bang Cauliflower adventure begin! You’re just a few steps away from crispy, spicy perfection.
Hit up the comments section below and spill the beans—how did your batch turn out?
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your fellow food enthusiasts, and if you’ve caught the cooking bug, explore our site for more tantalizing recipes and culinary inspirations.
See more recipes here.
I’m Shanna, creator of Spiritea Drinks. I’m all about teaching people to grow their own food, tea, cook what they harvest, and eat with the seasons.